11 February 2007

My parents' Birthdays and a Thai Wedding




Parents' Birthdays.
Was home in Manila last weekend to
celebrate my father's 60th birthday last 5th February. Without much fanfare he chose to quietly spend it with his siblings. A week before his birthday was my Mom's (31st January). I'm just grateful for the time spent with family last week.

* * *

Thai Wedding. I attended my first Thai wedding last 7th January. My officemate Yoong (bride) got married to Santi (groom).
Similar to Chinese-Filipino weddings, Yoong and Santi (who are Chinese-Thais) had their wedding ceremony earlier in the day attended only by family followed by a cocktail reception at the Intercon in the evening. There must have been about 1,000 guests during the reception with the Thais all dressed to the nines! The Thai women were all professionally styled and fashionably dressed (they wore modern clothes, not traditional Thai costumes as I had presumed). Astonishingly, the men all seemed to be wearing D&G or Armanis! The programme was fairly straightforward with speeches from Yoong's and Santi's respective big bosses followed by an interview of the couple, a song number from one of our officemates and a champagne-pouring ceremony (for abundance).
One thing I realised that night is that Pinoys, compared to Thais, give equal, if not more, weight to food over looking fabulous.

No comments: