28 March 2007

The Truth behind the Bridge over the River Kwai


This is the train that carried us on
the infamous "Death Railway" which the Japanese Imperial Army directed during World War II. It is called such because of the atrocities and death thousands of Allied Prisoners of War (PoW) have had to endure to construct this link between Thailand and Burma --- which my Dad agrees was a potentially good strategic move at that time.

Based on the account written in the "certificate" I received after riding the said train: "More than 16,000 prisoners of war and 100,000 labourers, including Chinese, South Indians, Malays, Burmese, Japanese and Dutch-Indonesian Eurasians died building the railway. Most of the deaths were from disease, malnutrition and exhaustion."


I guess it's a bit gruesome to be checking out the Death Railway, JEATH (acronym for the primary participant nations: Japan, England, Australia, Thailand and Holland) War museum and War cemetery at the first leg of my parents' journey. Sobrang nakakaawa (truly a pity) to see the living conditions of the PoW and appalling how some people can be capable of such inhumanity. I remember having the same feeling when I visited the War Crimes Museum in Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon). I literally burst into tears when I was there because of utter shock. This time I think I was a bit more prepared. Still, it was a sobering thought knowing we live in relatively peaceful times compared to those who have had to live through war (and continue to do so elsewhere in the world). Even asked my Dad what my grandfather, a war veteran, was doing during the war. I was just thankful none of my family had to go through anything like this.



On a lighter note, here's a look at the coffee and cookies that come with riding "first class" on this train.
We passed through lush vegetation all throughout our train trip, confirming what we were told that the Thai government strongly supports its agriculture industry, one of which is through a very extensive and effective irrigation system.

No comments: